London

Visit to London from 27/9 to 29/9


The actually reason of my short stay in London was a conference from Caritas "One people, one nation" on Saturday. Therefore I decided to stay in London until Monday at "Helping Hands" with Michael another German volunteer. He lives in Plaistow, one of the poorest part of London. "Helping Hands" is a place where homeless people can go and live to get a new life organized. One street in Plaistow "Greenstreet", we walked at 10 pm and you only could see ethnic people. It only takes you about 20 minutes from the main city of London, which I think is really terrifying.

This is Westminster Abbey. I walked with Brother Edmung, who stays in another Friary just next to "Helping Hands" trough London and took a little bit sightseeing. It was actually quite funny to walk with him, because he wear his habit, so we got free entrance to Westminster Abbey and Westminster Cathedral. 

The Millennium Bridge just in the opposite of St. Pauls across the Themes.


Unfortunately there was a service in St. Pauls Cathedral, so we couldn't get in.


The London Eye, it takes half a hour to make one turn. After our actually quite long sightseeing tour he took me to "Helping Hands".

Sunset in the old Docks, only 10 minutes by bus from Plaistow away. What you can see is obvious, the Bank Part of London, where still the money district floods. 

On the left side in white you can see the Millennium Dome.

Me on the Bridge where I took these pictures. It was quite funny because the only way you could reach the bridge was with an escalator or with steps.

The bridge was about 30 meter top the surface. This was the Saturday in London. 

On Sunday we went to Greenwich unfortunately by bus because there was no service on the DLR. This picture shows the Maritime Museum at the bottom, behind me there is a Museum of Time and Astronomy.

Just look at the picture, I thought it was quite funny :).

Me at the 0 Meridian on the top of the hill where the Museum actually is, in the middle of a hugh park.

Think about it.

In the afternoon we went to other "important" places in London, for example the Buckimham Palace.



Nearly 6 pm and London was covered in a touch of orange.


A really rare moment, the Tower Bridge is opened because a crowed ship passed. 





After a long walk through different places we enjoyed our supper in this restaurant. This is the view we enjoyed during our meal staying in the Marina Kathrina.

On Monday Michael had to work and had only a few hours left before I left by train back in the south. So I decided to go to St. Pauls Cathedral and I enjoyed the nice view over London.

After that I walked a little bit trough London Bank and watched the amazing building. The "gerkin" one emblem of London.